Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Audrey's First Day of Kindergarten

Monday was Audrey's first day of kindergarten!

I decorated our breakfast table with a Happy First Day of School theme.  I just made a sign and decorated with some simple school supplies, but I thought it turned out pretty cute!





My original plan was to make homemade cinnamon rolls for breakfast, but as the time drew closer and my energy level grew lower, we went with store bought powdered donuts instead, along with some fruit and scrambled eggs.  The girls were surprised, and I loved hearing their reaction when they walked into the dining room that morning!

Of course, we had to take the traditional back to school picture.




And you all now that I love a good side by side comparison, so here are a few of those.


Then it was off to school!

Here she is waiting in her spot in line to go inside.

Then they were off!


With her backpack in front of her classroom door.

When we picked her up at the end of the day, she seemed to have had a good day!  Here she is with some of her friends after school.


And so it begins.  People keep asking how I am doing with her going to kindergarten.  I'm fine.  I'm not really sad about it.  But it is just weird.  Weird to think how our lives are now changed, and we won't ever go back to the way it has been the past 5 1/2 years.  For the next 13 years, Audrey (and then Isla too) will be going to school every weekday for nine months out of the year.  Perhaps bittersweet is the word I am looking for to describe how I feel.  I'm excited for what lies ahead in our future.  And perhaps I am a little sad about saying goodbye to the days of her being home with me all day every day.  It is definitely going to be an adjustment for all of us.

Audrey is going to a public elementary school, which is new territory for both Daniel and I, as we went to private elementary schools.  Then we both went to public school in middle and high school, but both of us were in pretty small school districts.  We are not in a huge city here, but the district is much, much bigger than what either Daniel or I experienced as kids.  So it's a little scary, sending her off to the big public school system!

However, her elementary school comes highly recommended to us.  We moved into this house last year mostly so we could get her into this school.  It is a little smaller than some of the other elementary schools in the district, with just 300 kids total.  So far, I've been really impressed with all that I have seen.  The staff is a very close knit group, and they all go on and on about how much they love the school.  It helps that our friend is Audrey's teacher too, so we have a source for getting the inside scoop on what's going on there.  Parents are strongly encouraged to be involved.  It has the feeling of a smaller private school even though it is a part of the big district.  So I am looking forward to spending the next eight years with the girls in this school!





0 comments:

Post a Comment