Thursday, July 3, 2014

Mary Poppins Party: Food and Cupcakes

 It's been over a month since Isla's third birthday party, so I suppose it is time to blog about it!

I have always wanted to throw a Mary Poppins themed party.  We talked about doing it for Audrey's fourth birthday, but then she requested a Tangled party instead.  So earlier this year, when Isla started showing an interest in Mary Poppins and starting watching the movie and learning the songs, I decided we needed to have a Mary Poppins party for her third birthday!

I think this is one of my favorite parties I have ever thrown, topped only perhaps by Audrey's Tangled party.

So I'm going to break this up into a couple of posts so as not to bore you with too many pictures and party details.  For today, the food and cupcakes!

For the sake of time and money, I tried to keep the food fairly simple.  We had about 30 people coming to the party, so I wanted to have enough snacks for everyone without spending a lot of time in the kitchen.  And of course, I wanted the snacks to go with the theme!

One of my favorites (I wish I would have gotten a close up picture though!) was umbrella cheese.  It was Babybel cheese cut in half with a piece of a flexible black straw stuck in the end.

Our Poppins corn was just microwave kettle corn which the kids could put in this fun striped boxes.  I had visions of making homemade kettle corn but in reality, microwave worked just fine!

Another easy storebought snack:  Penguin crackers.

These are spoonfuls of sugar, which are really cake pops on spoons.  Easy to make and a really fun way to incorporate the theme.

Mary Poppins' favorite drink (mentioned twice by her in the movie) is Rum Punch.  When Audrey was little, she would take drinks of everything and then say, "Mmm...rum punch!" just like Mary Poppins.  I thought we HAD to have Rum Punch for our Mary Poppins party, but obviously with a party full of children, we had to make it without the rum!

I asked Isla if she wanted cake or cupcakes, and she picked cupcakes.  Which is much easier for me!  I debated for a long time as to what I should put on top of the cupcakes, and I ended up making these kites.  I spent forever cutting out all those pieces of the kite by hand (5 tiny pieces per kite!), but they looked cute, so I guess it was worth it.

The birthday girl doesn't like to be the center of attention.  So while everyone else was outside, we took her inside to sing Happy Birthday and blow out the candles.  I thought she was going to let us sing Happy Birthday, but when the time came, she didn't want us to sing to her.  No reason to make the birthday girl mad at her party, so we skipped out on singing and just went straight to blowing out her candles.







1 comments:

Unknown said...

How did u make the rum punch

Post a Comment