Tuesday, August 20, 2013

August 20: What's for Dinner? Night 2

Tonight I fixed Crockpot Chicken Fajitas, a recipe which we have quite often around here.  Mostly because it is so easy.  And it allows you to cook frozen chicken breasts in the crockpot without thawing them first!  I do not have the patience to thaw meat, so a recipe that allows me to cook meat from frozen, and have it turn out good in the end, is a big winner in my book.
This isn't really much of a recipe, because it is really simple.   It is super flexible and can be made in larger or smaller quantities to feed your group.  Here's the basic gist of the recipe:

Crockpot Chicken Fajitas

Frozen chicken breasts
Red pepper
Green pepper
Onion
Taco seasoning (I make my own using this recipe)
Chicken broth

Basically, you just put everything into the crockpot and let it cook!  You can cook it on high for 3-5 hours or on low for 6-8 hours.  Or you can do a combination, which is what I did today:  cook on high for 2 hours and on low for 3 hours.  You really can't mess this up.  When it is finished, just use a fork to shred the chicken.

Today I used three frozen chicken breasts and chopped up half of each red pepper, green pepper and onion.  Then I just poured in some taco seasoning (maybe 2 tablespoons?) and some chicken broth (maybe 1 cup or so?).  That is the beauty of this recipe...you don't really need to measure anything too carefully.

And, I chopped up the other half of each red pepper, green pepper and onion, and put them in the freezer.  So next time I make this recipe, it will be even easier as I will be able to use frozen chicken and frozen veggies!
I served the fajitas on store bought whole wheat tortillas with cheese (and Daniel added salsa to his).

To go along with the fajitas, I made this Green Rice Casserole.  It is supposed to be made in a 9x13 pan, but I split it between two smaller pans and made one to cook tonight and put the other in the freezer.  (I have a crazy piano teaching schedule this fall, so I'm trying to plan ahead and have some easy things in the freezer!)

To round out our meal, we also had peas and cantaloupe with our dinner.

So to keep it real, here is one of the reasons why I get tired of cooking:
Such a mess!!  Doing dishes is one of my least favorite activities!  But it is all cleaned up now; ready to be made messy again with tomorrow's cooking.





0 comments:

Post a Comment