Sunday, May 6, 2012

May 6: A Week of Desserts

For some reason, this is turning into the week of desserts.  I need to make a dessert for at least five different occasions this week!  I went to the grocery store yesterday and bought all kinds of processed foods with white sugar and white flour and all the stuff that we have been not been eating on the real food diet that we (casually) try to follow.  It was kind of fun to buy lots of sweets!

First up on my list of desserts was Cherry Trifle for a lunch meeting at church today.  My mom used to make this, and it is delicious!  I'm not a huge fan of sour cream, so when my mom first gave me this recipe, I was skeptical about the sour cream addition.  I sometimes use a little less sour cream than what the recipe says.  But really, you don't notice the sour cream at all in this dessert.  It gives just enough of a sour taste to balance out all of the other sweetness, and the end result is SO good! 

Cherry Trifle

1 angel food cake
1 can cherry pie filling
1 cup sour cream
1 small package vanilla instant pudding
1 1/2 cups milk
8 oz container of Cool Whip

Mix the pudding, sour cream and milk with a whisk until smooth.  Allow to sit for a few minutes until it thickens.

Break the angel food cake into pieces, and layer half of the pieces in the bottom of a large bowl (I have also made this in a 9x13 pan and it worked too!).  Pour the cherry pie filling on top of the first layer of cake.  Add the rest of the cake pieces on top of the cherry filling.   Then add the pudding mixture on top of the second layer of cake.  Top with Cool Whip.



Tonight, I made these Pineapple Upside Down Cupcakes for small group in honor of Daniel's birthday.  Pineapple upside down cake is his favorite, and when I saw the recipe for these cupcakes, I just had to try them!  I'm not a huge fan of pineapple upside down cake, so I didn't even try them.  But Daniel said they were good, and then he proceeded to eat three of them!

I took a picture of them with my phone at group tonight.  But I lost the card that I need to get the pictures off my phone (these are the days I wish I had a smart phone, my dumb phone doesn't have internet access or the ability to send pictures or else this wouldn't be a problem!).  So no pictures of the cupcakes today, but just trust me that they looked really cute...like personal sized pineapple upside down cakes!





0 comments:

Post a Comment